Breeding for THC-v

Vlad the Inhaler

Hi, I hope everyone is well.
I'm interested to grow some THC-v plants.
Willy Nelson is longtime legacy strain now and with the ability to custom bio engineer cannabinoids, not sure which breeders are putting in work to develop this illusive genetic base
With the unfortunate recent passing of Subcool, and his jacks cleaner strains now also becoming legacy breeding, it looks like we are going backwards.
I have so far been unable to find any Willie Nelson or Xbreed seed, unfortunately.
I have found 80 red Congo F1 seed, 40*f13 and 40*mnsSSH.
Red Congo goes about 2% thcv and I'm hoping as the seed is f1 I'll find daughters that match or exceed their mums lvl.
I have 10 Chernobyl seed only. This is a jacks cleaner/jtr hybrid, heading toward ibl that shows high thcv individuals.
I also have 20 lemon Stilton, a seed line produced in collaboration and focused on leveraging the thcv form JC/jtr.
I'm hoping I can produce some nice extracts and also cuts to hand out locally.

Problem is there is no way for me to legally test any of my plants in Australia
Anyone know a testing house that can really do their stuff and will take flower samples through international mail?
I read a thread ages ago where someone recomended a lab in Spain that charged a bit, but we're the best of the best, they thought
Can't find it again, unfortunately.
Or is there anyway I can get reagents and test myself?
Cheers

I've heard/read of people getting buds & extracts tested at Southern Cross University.

Your Congo Red strain should have good levels of THCv. Congo Black, Angola Roja and Durban Poison are all high in THCv. I have grown and bred a lot of Durbans, and they are fairly consistent in having higher levels of THCv. I have been looking for Willie Nelson here, but never found any. Doug's Varin is supposed to be the highest tested strain for THCv levels. I am looking for that one to breed my Durban with. Durbans are good breeders.

Here in the states you are not supposed to test out of state or w/o a license in state. Its also really expensive, especially for THCv, CBC and other non THC/CBD cannabinoids. ONE potency test is about $145 here at a certified state lab. But there are test kits available online for testing a panel of cannabinoids, and these are what a lot of labs use here. The Thin Layer Chromatography, CTK Test Kit is available from TLC Lab Supply is in Medford, Oregon/USA. You can do about 20 tests with one kit for $160 USD (with free shipping within the USA). I have not used these myself, and I do not represent them in any way. The kits test for THC, CBD, CBN, CBG, THCV and CBC, as well as acids. I am looking at getting one of these test kits for CBD, CBC and THCv tests myself.

https://thctestkits.com/store/Thin-Layer-Chromatography-CTK-Test-Kits-3-kits-available-c10793776

Last edited:
Would be very nice to do testing at home! Must be cool to see those numbers in our owen crosses. And be able to steer on the results.

hope you share your findings about them.

Your Congo Red strain should have good levels of THCv. Congo Black, Angola Roja and Durban Poison are all high in THCv. I have grown and bred a lot of Durbans, and they are fairly consistent in having higher levels of THCv. I have been looking for Willie Nelson here, but never found any. Doug's Varin is supposed to be the highest tested strain for THCv levels. I am looking for that one to breed my Durban with. Durbans are good breeders.

Here in the states you are not supposed to test out of state or w/o a license in state. Its also really expensive, especially for THCv, CBC and other non THC/CBD cannabinoids. ONE potency test is about $145 here at a certified state lab. But there are test kits available online for testing a panel of cannabinoids, and these are what a lot of labs use here. The Thin Layer Chromatography, CTK Test Kit is available from TLC Lab Supply is in Medford, Oregon/USA. You can do about 20 tests with one kit for $160 USD (with free shipping within the USA). I have not used these myself, and I do not represent them in any way. The kits test for THC, CBD, CBN, CBG, THCV and CBC, as well as acids. I am looking at getting one of these test kits for CBD, CBC and THCv tests myself.

https://thctestkits.com/store/Thin-Layer-Chromatography-CTK-Test-Kits-3-kits-available-c10793776

Hey, thanks for the input.
I read som lazy top thcv strain write-ups mentioning Doug's varin. I don't think it's a strain at all.
I think it's a cutting, but good luck getting a hold of it.

Aust govt still occasionally pretends smoking weed is equivalent to burning meth so I'll send samples overseas. I'll try and find a service in Spain or Canada probably.
I wonder if the home test kits work that well.
$145us seems a bit steep.
I'd be happy to pay about €70.

Hey man.
I reckon consistently above 2% thcv would be about right.
Reef is certainly a character, but wouldn't surprise me if the WN was nepal/Viet black.
Whatever Willie Nelson parent lines, it gave 2-5% thcv, which nothing else can.
I haven't seen any video about LMN's Congo cut.
I think his Congo is Mali*cape Verde/Nepal
Or Mali/canary islandsX.
Not sure if that is also the Congo#1 in banghi, as well as Congo #3 used by RM.
I read LMN's cut gave 1+% thcv from about 11% total cannibinoid.

Just reading some old threads and reef reckons he got his Congo from seed direct from LMN, and not #3 cut, so who could guess?
Their heritage and back story isn't so jmportant
What I like about red congo it is the orange smell, as well as being a good yielder.
The lemon/lime from jtr and citrus from rc should throw to limonene.
Citrus terps and thcv are synergistic

I didn't know red congo was a Reef job too.

I probably shouldn't have thrown Reefermans character into the convo.

What about CBG's Ghana and Durban? They look like legit afro sativas.

here's the Franco video I mentioned...

https://youtu.be/PwciNb-BZIk?t=787

have you read how skunk man developed thcv lines for hortapharm?

Don't know about sam's genetic engineering adventures, because I only follow open source breedjng.
I don't think cbg's two Africans have what I'm looking for.
The Ghana looks like real fun to sample someone else's hard work, but way too much work for me in a total illegal precinct.
Ive never seen Durban go much over about 0.7% thcv either.

Reefs got this funny back story where he was charged with bomb offences and was involved with white supremacists.
Pretty funny how racial supremacists are usually broken toothed obese imbecile.
He had a bunch of good strain though.

RSC has a Congo they reckon is unmolested and low intersex.
Not sure if it's from #1,#3, black point or Congolese Negro.
It's later season.
Their kumaoni would go OK with it, for some jungle fun.

Red Congolese is pretty quick has good oil content, is easy growing and has good indoor growing characteristics.
A couple of breeders have released nev haze and nlhz cross with it, so I hope the rc/ssh f1s come through.

Last edited:
I'm well aware of reefermans antics.

If it's that same canadian congo line. I think PMB has some of the congo x blockhead going.

What's up with that Doug's Varin?

meanwhile in genetic adventures.......

"I used Durban Poison as one of the 4 parents we used to create a THCV only variety 20 years ago, the THCV was not so high, only 1-2% but it was there. I also used a Thai, an Afghan and Calif Orange, they also had small amounts of THCV. after 4 years of seperately selfing these lines which raised the THCV %'s they were combined to make our THCV variety.
-SamS"

"To be clear the THCV % of the 4 parent lines were low in THCV, 1-2%, after selfing several years and combining the 4 parental lines we knocked that up to more then 10% with little to no other Cannabinoids.
We also did that for CBC, CBG, CBDV, CBCV, CBGV, THCV, etc....
-SamS"

Good luck on the blockhead hybrid for Pmb.

On to Sam's story.
No date so I'll take it as recent.
20 years ago he takes 4 strain with about 1% thcv
And after only 4 years through natural selection of inbreeding he was able to exceed 10% thcv ( simultaneously producing 6 other industrial lines )
To improve something 1000% in less than 15 generations is "almost"-cough- impossible fo active.
But he reckons that in 2004 he had natural lines of incredible potency.
So what did he do with them??
Where is his proof?

You were chatting about a 15%+ cbg strain the other day.
That was created by genetic engineering recently.
But Sam reckons he had a naturally bred high cbg line more than 15 years ago.
He just keeps it in his special hiding spot,
..his imagination?
If he supposedly had a 10%+ cbd line almost 20 years ago what did he do with that?
If he had a 10%+ thcv line way back then, why has no-one ever seen or heard about it, ever.
His story is hardly believable on surface, and obviously it's fantasy because those lines don't exist.
Maybe he's telling fibs to describe the shit that his partners now admit he produced through generic engineering.
I don't concern myself too much with gene spliced Frankenstein weed.
However much of Sam's fantasy may be real, he has no open source release of the jeans, and what he says happened doesn't really encourage me.

I have two lines that give 2%thcv.
I hope I can identify some plants to be able to hybrid the lines and at least maintain the 2%.
Then I can give out keiki when our fed govt finally chills on weed.

Last edited:
what is considered high thcV?

Have you seen the video where Franco (RIP) is getting his congo collected lines tested?

I've been interested in seeds online for about 10 years. I haven't really seen anything about willie nelson seeds. HempDepot had them for awhile and then by the time I ordered from him they were out of stock. Reeferman is such a storyteller that no telling what those were really made from. I used to have a pipe dream that I would grow a crop of willie and smoke it with Willie.

I would say that high THCv is about anything over 1%. 2% is the highest that I have grown from breeding South African strains. I saw that Franco Loca SH vid where he gets the highest tested THCv results from a landrace from Congo. But they have not released anything near that high in any GHS releases that I am aware of.

Listed on Seedman, Novarine, a feminised strain from Elite Seeds is said to be 2% CBD, 10% THCv and 8% THC. ??? Dunno how it really stacks up though.

Canadian Hemp Co. lists Doug Varin seeds. All they say is that it is high in THCv. ???

I am running more strains this year looking for CBD, CBC and THCV. My Maui Waui Cherry Bomber had measurable CBC. It was not tested for THCv though. I am testing a new Midwest hemp hybrid that is high in CBC and CBD. I am also running some Sinai and Morocco strains looking for good mixes of THC and CBD. I am also running a new line of Kona Gold from the Bog Island that is said to have reasonable amounts of THCv. Dunno about that, but we shall see. So cold this year my plants are still only 6 inches tall. Only had 3 days this year over 70 deg F. Nuclear winter here this year.

"Mission Lago Seed genetics team has worked for 3 years to create high cannabinoid content, CBG predominant plants (Type IV) using traditional breeding techniques at their federally-legal industrial hemp research facility in Oregon. The result is a very special plant whose cannabinoid profile is 99.5% CBG. There is so little THC produced by this rare hemp plant that many of our concentrated products remain below the federal limit (0.3%), which allows us to ship a wide range of products to customers anywhere in the US and many other countries internationally."

Anywhere except Idaho... where ~any~ measurable THC is considered marijuana.

I have not grown anything for high CBG content. I have lines to some good hemp breeders here though.

What all do you know about the CBG breeding? I was under the impression it was from traditional tek. I got 3 or 4 seeds from it as well.

"Mission Lago Seed genetics team has worked for 3 years to create high cannabinoid content, CBG predominant plants (Type IV) using traditional breeding techniques at their federally-legal industrial hemp research facility in Oregon. The result is a very special plant whose cannabinoid profile is 99.5% CBG. There is so little THC produced by this rare hemp plant that many of our concentrated products remain below the federal limit (0.3%), which allows us to ship a wide range of products to customers anywhere in the US and many other countries internationally."

To View Lab Results Click Here: https://www.shopnaturallife.com/lab-results/

That's really cool.
I was reading about propriety gene altered cbg strains the other day just before I read your thread.
And I assumed they r the same.
But you know what they say-.to assume, ass=me.
I'm really happy to be wrong on this one, a pure cbg natural breeding line is really excellent meds.

I would say that high THCv is about anything over 1%. 2% is the highest that I have grown from breeding South African strains. I saw that Franco Loca SH vid where he gets the highest tested THCv results from a landrace from Congo. But they have not released anything near that high in any GHS releases that I am aware of.

Listed on Seedman, Novarine, a feminised strain from Elite Seeds is said to be 2% CBD, 10% THCv and 8% THC. ??? Dunno how it really stacks up though.

Canadian Hemp Co. lists Doug Varin seeds. All they say is that it is high in THCv. ???

I am running more strains this year looking for CBD, CBC and THCV. My Maui Waui Cherry Bomber had measurable CBC. It was not tested for THCv though. I am testing a new Midwest hemp hybrid that is high in CBC and CBD. I am also running some Sinai and Morocco strains looking for good mixes of THC and CBD. I am also running a new line of Kona Gold from the Bog Island that is said to have reasonable amounts of THCv. Dunno about that, but we shall see. So cold this year my plants are still only 6 inches tall. Only had 3 days this year over 70 deg F. Nuclear winter here this year.

Thanks man.
The novarine looks cool enough.
If they measure thcv separate to thc, 18% thc+thca+thcv combined+2%cbd sounds about right.

You reckon those DougV seeds r legit?
Bred by the Canadian rare seeds co, producers of albino rhino and other rip-offs. Wonder where they got their parents from.

## no one has novarine stock and elite reckon they don't support it anymore.
;~\

Last edited:
Thanks man.
The novarine looks cool enough.
If they measure thcv separate to thc, 18% thc+thca+thcv combined+2%cbd sounds about right.

You reckon those DougV seeds r legit?
Bred by the Canadian rare seeds co, producers of albino rhino and other rip-offs. Wonder where they got their parents from.

## no one has novarine stock and elite reckon they don't support it anymore.
;~\

I just posted what I could find for rare high THCv strains. I do not sanction any of these people. I do not think that many seed company beans are legit any more. Few sell regular photos or sativas any more. RSC/Kwik was legit, but they are drifting more toward Euro collective 'worked' stuff now. MrNice is legit. DJ & JD Short are legit. Seed companies here in the US west are popping up like weeds these days. Like in Canada, I do not trust any of them, save for DJ Short. I get beans mostly in trade from breeders, or direct from source locations. But they are dwindling. Seed scams are on the rise.

Back