Grover's SSH selection grow from seed

Hey Im new to he forum, but used to buy Nevils stuff all the way back to the 80's. Mazar for 1. I wish I still had those genetics along with Northern Lights #5.

My buddy has been doing the SSH for about a year and a half now. Went through 1 pack of seeds and kept the fastest growing biggest producer of the bunch. 9 females and 100% germ rate. Ive always had 100% germ rates with the stuff Ive bought. Not necessarily the most potent.

All of them were potent though.

The pheno he kept finishes in around 65 days and in good conditions can pull down 24oz with 1 plant under 1 x 1000 Watt Horitlux bulb and a 20 gallon container with Promix BX and Better Grow Orchid fertilizer.

Im a firm believer topping them sets them back and decreases yield as compared to bending and training the plant.

Of course the yield can be up to par if topped but it takes 10 days minimum for the pant to recover and make up lost time, so im not a fan of topping unless you just have to. I would rather flower smaller and train them.

Hes going to go through another couple packs of seeds to find a more potent 1 although this 1 is no slouch.

But hes currently also trying the Rare Dankness GTH #1.

The resin production is very high on the GTH so far. About 2 weeks to go. but it is lucky to get half of the production of the SSH phenol and Im sure some SSH phenos can better or equal the GTH #1..

The SSH has HUGE long buds and are compact all the way down the stem and is very fast growing and stretches like mad in flower..

He also used to grow the Ortega and crossed it with this SSH. Both male and female versions.

They don't hold their compactness as far down the branches and are not as potent as the SSH f1. Also SSH we have done also betters the pure or the crosses of Ortega in production.

Cheers Ben, LRV and 59er!

I am in a position to give an initial smoke report for the 4 girls which I completed...

1) The NL phenotype.

This one finished first and looked fantastic. It was covered in resin and had very few leaves compared to flowers, which were large calyxes and light green. It stank of cat piss at first but that got less as time went on.

As for smoke... it smoked really well but it had massive bag appeal so I didn't really smoke enough of it before it, uh, went away.

As I said, great bag appeal.

I did keep back 1 bud and it tasted really sweet, if a little neutral. It smoked even and creamy. Very pleasant but I was already too stoned to know how good it was. Sorry. I think it may have been quite nice... :eek:

2) The skunk phenotype.

This plant ended up quite fluffy and a bit leafy so i guess I could do a little better if I were to go again with her.

Still, that had no effect on the strength, believe me.

The taste is a little of strawberries. The strawberry thing really comes through on the aroma but because I gave just a touch too much N during latter stages of flowering, there is a slight harshness to the taste from the leaves. Still, you really do get that berry thing and I have no doubt that flavour would really come through were I to grow her again...

...which I never will, as the 'high' is just stupid.

This may be one of the strongest plants I have smoked in years. It is not very kind, though and leaves you feeling like you have done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Not ideal for me.

After a few hours you feel burnt out and groggy and your higher thought processes have all but ceased. Smoke a morning timer and you may have recovered enough for conversation by early evening.

This weed must never be smoked when tired.

For those who love a MASSIVE indica kick with a whirlwind attached - you'd love it.

3) The NL5/Haze phenotype.

This must be the ugliest weed I've ever seen. It is all balls of hair on dark green flowers. I have no doubt that I could do slightly better with it on a second grow, were I to go there. This plant was the original 'chosen one'

I have now 'unchosen' it. Shows what I know.

The buds are fat and very dense. The smell is sort of a peppery/leathery thing. Any fruity/floral hint is gone. This may be because I haven't quite 'dialled her in" and should have stopped feeding earlier than I did. I find that this mistake can subdue the lighter, fruitier, sweeter flavours sometimes.

Having said that, I did;t get it that wrong at all and I don't believe it would change too much were I to go again.

The smoke is actually very pleasant tasting, compared to the smell and you really don't expect it when you see the sight of these ugly fucks.

I have about 9 ounces of this ugly stuff! It does smoke well, though, as I said,so who cares what it looks like?

The taste when smoked is sweet/sour and quite sharp, maybe. It is a little neutral, though. Again, all the soapy/floral notes have gone. Probably growers error - or at least partly, anyway.

The high is very pleasant and kind - or at least at first it is.

Then the old Zombo-McGuire kicks in. It's Mongo-Mongo time. Let's all move to Mongo-lia. Sing-A-Mong-of-sixpence... You feel dead-headed and tired eyed and everyone you try to speak to asks you if you had a heavy night last night.

Not good.

Too strong on the indica side. (Bloody Northern Lights.)

Truth is, this plant gives some insight into the NL5/Hz mother that Nev chose for this cross. Stupidly strong, huge yielding, resin covered, NL leaning, and a bit dull.

I reckon Shanti said "Nev, this SSH is good but why did you go for a mother like that? I bet I could do better. Let's try this characterful, flavourful, highly euphoric sativa leaning NL5/Hz instead of your stupefying indica" and lo - the Mango Haze was born.

If you like narcotic, brain damage style weed then this is your baby.

If you have a job/ family/ hobby/ any other responsibility then it isn't.

4) The Skunk/Hz phenotype.

Aaaaaah. At last. This is more like it.

This plant had the most resin and the strongest and best smell. She was the tallest and prettiest, too. It took about 12 1/2 weeks to flower as a seedling. The yield was roughly similar to plant (3), above.

The grow was almost perfect but the flowers are a little leafy. 2nd round should clear that up nicely. Less food. Same strength but less feedings. More plain water instead of food should do the trick. Maybe 1 feed a week, with rain or pH adjusted water between feedings and a 4 week flush should do the job perfectly.

The taste is lovely. Hazy, zesty, sweet/sour-y style thing. Very nice indeed. If I could get that floral soapyness back in there it would be fantastic.

The high is lovely, really. Uplifting and pretty clear. Kind and pleasant and also pretty damn strong. There is a little "re-entry" burnout but not too bad.

Not a total sativa but close enough.

An all-round lovely plant, I would say. Perhaps not a 'forever' keeper but definitely one to do again a few more times or even in the greenhouse (where mine is going to be done.)

Great for the old "Wake and Bake" scenario, I would say. This would be your indica smoker's "Go-To" sativa, I would imagine. I am very happy to have several boxes full of this in the medicine cabinet, for sure.

My Mexican sativa smashes it, though. ;)

Photos seem to be a problem for this site right now but I will try when I have the time and patience.

In conclusion - generally a horribly strong and gruesome indica style plant with a mind-fuck sativa edge. Very long lasting and blasting. A bit dead-headed at the end, though.
About once per pack, though, a real gem of a sativa pops out,a huge plant with a superb fragrance and flavour, a MASSIVE yield and great resin.

There is no getting away from that horrible NL edge, though.

I used to adore this strain - but that was back in the day, when I smoked indicas not sativas.
For those who like this sort of thing, this is a great strain. It is probably worth the price (though it is rather expensive) when compared to the other strains but I can't help feeling that it is, perhaps, a little dated now. Certainly the flavours are of the old days and the over-strength dead-headed dullness of most of the phenotypes definitely belongs in the 90s, when Northern Lights was the big thing.

A great plant I don't regret growing this time around.
Would I grow it over a Kali-Mist? Or a well bred landrace F1 or backcross? Or even a Mango Haze or Skunk Haze?

No, probably not. But only because it is no longer my thing. In fact, I almost definitely won't grow SSH again. But if you like old-style, strong-headed weed you probably should.

Grover Sativa

Great smoke report GS. :) Thanks for the detail on the different phenos. Popped some recently and am interested in what I'll find. I always enjoy your adventures :)

Stellar buds Grover, love the look of the NL pheno's, killer.
Thanks for the comprehensive smoke report.
Your insight, thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Respect

Cheers Ben, LRV and 59er!

I am in a position to give an initial smoke report for the 4 girls which I completed...

In conclusion - generally a horribly strong and gruesome indica style plant with a mind-fuck sativa edge. Very long lasting and blasting. A bit dead-headed at the end, though.
About once per pack, though, a real gem of a sativa pops out,a huge plant with a superb fragrance and flavour, a MASSIVE yield and great resin.

There is no getting away from that horrible NL edge, though.

I used to adore this strain - but that was back in the day, when I smoked indicas not sativas.
For those who like this sort of thing, this is a great strain. It is probably worth the price (though it is rather expensive) when compared to the other strains but I can't help feeling that it is, perhaps, a little dated now. Certainly the flavours are of the old days and the over-strength dead-headed dullness of most of the phenotypes definitely belongs in the 90s, when Northern Lights was the big thing.

A great plant I don't regret growing this time around.
Would I grow it over a Kali-Mist? Or a well bred landrace F1 or backcross? Or even a Mango Haze or Skunk Haze?

No, probably not. But only because it is no longer my thing. In fact, I almost definitely won't grow SSH again. But if you like old-style, strong-headed weed you probably should.

Grover Sativa

Hi Grover,
Do you remember when you bought these SSH beans?
I have some I got direct in the straws from Shanti here in 2011.

Thanks buddy!

Hi Grover,
Do you remember when you bought these SSH beans?
I have some I got direct in the straws from Shanti here in 2011.

Thanks buddy!

I think it was just last year but they'll be just the same as you will get from you're beans - this strain hasn't changed at all over the years.

Hope you find a good one!

G

Back