Huge Vigorous Pheno

hazeseeker

Hey everyone.

I ordered just three seeds of SSH and I got two phenos who are pretty similar looking so far. Hazey imo, small, kind of sensitive.

But then the third...its huge...its bigger than plants i popped two weeks before it. Im new to growing and mr nice. Idk if this is unusual or not. This plant is insane. all 3 are 21 days old.

9bdbbl.jpg

I think they should all be bigger at 21 days one obvious reason for the slow growth is the grass and weeds you got growing with your plants weed them out my grandma use to make me pull weeds in her garden all the time they really take a lot of energy from your plants.

Can't tell about your lighting what you got?

also what kind of soil and nutrients you got?

overwatering, underwatering, over feeding, under feeding, low light, WEEDS, etc. can all slow growth down

lol Capone that is supposed to grow it shows that the soil is fertile and not too hot for healthy growth. It looks to be an organic soil he's using.

Im all organic. I think the soil might be a bit hot...if so only a little. That is the only reason I can come up with for the plants being small how they are.

Are males known for being vigorous tough growers? I got that vibe myself and always have seen this plant as male in my mind.

Im at a point where there really isn't much I can do but let the soil continue to cook and break down. I figure when the plants are bigger they will start making use of the soil and liking it.

I am using the clakamas coots recipe for the soil, google it if you aren't familiar. This soil is rich and these "weeds" are supposed to be beneficial and not take up enough energy to mess with the plants. I didn't get the impression they did. I had a similar problem like this with another run I did and I had no plants in with them.

Where I live the tap water isn't too bad at all. Thats what I give them.

The light is a 400w

im kind of on a budget. Ive got the basics down. I have a 1000w hps ready. The soil is amended and rich...maybe too rich. All I know is the durban poision, the alleged male plant in the middle, and a few others do fine with the soil.

Regarding the bigger plant getting more light. This plant has been unusually vigorous (compared to the others) since it first began sprouting leaves. I haven't had it in the middle the whole time. If it was off to the right or left it would still be huge.

Im open to advice from any of you guys with knowledge of organic growing...otherwise im just waiting it out.

like I said no pests, pretty good water, lots of food...idk...

edit: sigh... Im just realizing after googling a few pics that indeed something is really wrong with my plants for being so small....

Last edited:
They're looking ok.
Were those pics you googled from seed or clone, because that makes a big difference.

Last edited:
They're looking ok.
Were those pics you googled from seed or clone, because that makes a big difference.

Ok thank you. Yes they were from seed. Never really thought the size of the plants was unusual until this thread. I will take better pics soon. I do think they are having some kind of issue due to discoloration and frilled ends. Anyway. Will post pics hopefully tommorow.

Hey, they're green, alive and will hopefully give you lots of good smoke and IMO, that's good enough.
I noticed some of your seedlings are a bit strechy. A little fix I've used in the past is to only fill your seedling pots to between 1/2 and 1/3rd full. If they stretch, you just back fill the pot with your grow medium. It won't hurt your seedling and may in fact help with root development as well. Some tomato growers use a variation of this method too, by stripping the bottom leaves and planting the tomato deep. The theory is that the buried stem that would of normally been above ground will sprout more roots, thus supplying more nutrients to the plant.

Last edited:
Thats a good thought skippy. Wont be planting seedlings anytime soon again; but I actually thought of this. I just forgot about it. Im just going to plant the keepers as low as I can.

Here are some updates, maybe someone can give me some info on what might be going on.

Plant 1

11kdttu.jpg

Plant 2

2wh2xra.jpg

a1pz15.jpg

Big girl (I hope)

4fual1.jpg

Last edited:
Have you been spraying them with the lights on? The first one looks to have a little bug damage. Make sure to spray during your dark period if you are using a pesticide.

Im all organic. There are no bugs. If you look the new growth comes out looking like that. I've been keeping a close eye. Im thinking magnesium deficiency. Im going to water in some dolomite lime. Will update soon.

Magnesium deficiency usually looks different from that. It starts with yellowing between the veins on the leaf. Also if you think you have a mg issue use mg sulfate found at a drug store for a few bucks. ( also called Epsom salt) if you have a ph issue lime will buffer the medium. Personally it looks like something got on your leaf like maybe when you watered it dripped on there. There are also microscopic bugs that attack new growth, so just because you don't see them doesn't mean bugs aren't present. What kind of water do you feed with, and do you add nutrients to your water?

It's not from dripping something on the leaf although it may look that way. I'm certain. I think u may be onto something about the bugs. I didn't know there would be microscopic bugs that would be an issue. I thought they should be atleast somewhat visible. Definitely no flying bugs around. I did have some fungus gnats in my old soul but this soil is way better and has neem in it

ok so it's either bugs, a deficiency or a ph problem

If the problem is in the soil then it's because I added to much fertilizer ( bumper crop to be specific).

I wasn't careful following directions for the clakamas coots organic mix and the mineral balance may be a little off. This is due to me adding bumper crop and trying to do less of one thing more of another kind of deal.

I have super high quality castings (worm power) in there.

The reason I wanted to get dolomite lime is because in doing this organically and that would be more of a long term solution. I'm not using any bottled nutes that are organic nor do I want to.

I need to look in to organic pesticides I suppose. It does make sense what you said because the patche's arent even...I looked really really close but didn't see any visible bugs. If it were, what could the be?

Thanks

Last edited:
You may have a couple of issues. It looks like some kind of weird fungus to me and you may have bugs too. If I was you I'd spray with some cold pressed neem every 3 days for a couple of weeks and see what happens. It's a natural fungicide as when as a pesticide. It's said to kill Powdery Mildew. I've never had powdery mildew, so I'm just guessing, but maybe that's what you've got or something like.

I am using the clakamas coots recipe for the soil, google it if you aren't familiar. This soil is rich and these "weeds" are supposed to be beneficial and not take up enough energy to mess with the plants. I didn't get the impression they did. I had a similar problem like this with another run I did and I had no plants in with them.

OK I checked into the soil mix seen a couple grows but nobody had weeds growing or in the recipes, I'd love to know how the weeds can be beneficial I've just never heard such a thing but you learn something new everyday.

Also the soil mix is probably too hot for starting seedlings they can't handle too much when they are young and can stunt them pretty good.

Not sure exactly what the issues are but they are clearly not happy about something and its not the lighting I got 400 W veg lights and they most all look happy other than the occasional runt but I only use organics outdoors and not exclusively.

You may have a couple of issues. It looks like some kind of weird fungus to me and you may have bugs too. If I was you I'd spray with some cold pressed neem every 3 days for a couple of weeks and see what happens. It's a natural fungicide as when as a pesticide. It's said to kill Powdery Mildew. I've never had powdery mildew, so I'm just guessing, but maybe that's what you've got or something like.

ok, I just ordered some cold pressed neem online. thanks for the advice. Do I dilute it? if so to what ratio?

Wouldn't dolomite lime help the soil if it was too hot? I am assuming that may mean acidic..if its hot its due to chicken and cow manure.

Last edited:
OK I checked into the soil mix seen a couple grows but nobody had weeds growing or in the recipes, I'd love to know how the weeds can be beneficial I've just never heard such a thing but you learn something new everyday.

Also the soil mix is probably too hot for starting seedlings they can't handle too much when they are young and can stunt them pretty good.

Not sure exactly what the issues are but they are clearly not happy about something and its not the lighting I got 400 W veg lights and they most all look happy other than the occasional runt but I only use organics outdoors and not exclusively.

The roots shouldn't go deep enough to hurt the plants...they don't use that much energy.

This soil can be good for seedlings but i f'd it up also it hasn't cooked long enough to be more "gentle".

ok, I just ordered some cold pressed neem online. thanks for the advice. Do I dilute it? if so to what ratio?

Wouldn't dolomite lime help the soil if it was too hot? I am assuming that may mean acidic..if its hot its due to chicken and cow manure.

Read the instructions, but I use between 3 and 5mls a litre. You have to store it in a cool, dark place, but not the fridge as I'm told it will crystallize as that's too cold. You have to mix it with an emulsifier to make it mix with the water. I use an organic dish washing liquid at about 20% to the amount of neem. The dish washing liquid helps to kill bugs too. I put some warm water into the sprayer along with dish washing liquid and give a shake. Add the neem and shake some more and top up with as much water as you need to get the numbers right. Takes about 5 minutes once you get the hang of it. Do every 3 days for a couple of weeks and make sure to get the underside of the leaves. Spray over your medium, the wall, floor and anything else in sight. Only spray with freshly mixed neem as it will go off. You can water your plants with it too using the same principles, but use a jar to mix it together and then into a bucket of warm water and mix some more. The plant takes it up through the roots and kills bugs from the inside out. Once a week and you're gold. It really works. Prevention is best though. I always wear fresh clothes and a clean beani and have a little tray with bleach to put the souls of my shoes in before going near my plants.

I don't know anything about using soil indoors.

Luck.

Sounds like a plan! Many thanks for taking the time to write that out for me. I have high hopes. The one plant that looked a little less bad- less alleged fungus- is looking 80 percent well. Something changed. Maybe it's just getting stronger and utilizing the nutrients to help fight of the problem.

Isn't it strange though how it's only on a few of my plants? The Durban poison is golden and the other ssh is fine..

I have some satoris coming up and they are (almost) all contorting their leaves to when it looks slightly twisted about mid way. I'm away so I dont have pics but off top skippy - you know anything about that?

Thanks again

The roots shouldn't go deep enough to hurt the plants...they don't use that much energy.
".

If you say so its clearly not the only problem but from every gardener I have heard from from veggies to flowers to herb it is a problem it's not like the roots stay on top they reach down and choke out the root system. But trial and error I guess it certainly is not beneficial but if you believe it is have fun. If at first you don't succeed fail fail again. :D

Back