La Niña: 12/12 from seed Organic grow

Howdie MNS,

Following the decisions made at http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/14-indoor/12237-12-12-seed-afgxhz-ln-aheart-nevsk-mgxwidow.html a grow log would be the next logical step. :D

It's my first grow log at MNS and my second grow using this setup. Hope this time everything goes just fine.

I'll be growing on organic soil (Canna Professional Plus) and using BioBizz line of ferts (Grow, Bloom and TopMax) which I don't consider to be that sharply formulated, but it's what I've got atm).

The germination processes starts with two glasses with Brita filtered water (pH is about 6-6.3). One has 7 seeds and the other 8, in a total of 15 La Niñas. By now, I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure they all popped.

I'll be selecting at least three phenos to be used later as mothers: Sativa dominant, a 50/50 hybrid and an Indica dominant.

I'm very curious about the variety of terpene profiles with these genetics, as I've never tried nothing with either Mullum or true White family (now Black, Michael Jackson-reversed I guess) in it. Anxious, I am. :)

All I've got now are these macros of the seeds, before and after being tossed into the little shot glasses.

Before glass:

The germination setup setup:

Right after being tossed:

8 hours later (notice the embryonic root already showing up and the darkening of the seeds):

24 hours later:

Later pics will follow, as this will be a very fast grow if the schedule gets accomplished.

Wish me luck.

TheZ

Last edited:
stellar photos

pulling up a chair.

La Nina has some great phenos. I really liked the ginger smelling one. I buy crystallized ginger from the store and the buds smell just like it.

Interesting to see how 12/12 from seed works for this strain. Grew some outdoors this past season and the ones I got out early were some large plants. Nice start, should be a great thread.

Hello MNS,

Thank you for you interest on this thread. :D

Ginger pheno? That sounds interesting.

More pics. Still nothing too exciting but at this stage can't expect more.

They've been in water for about 48 hours , give or take.

I have some doubts about the genealogy of La Niña. The Brazilian sativa/South India used in the cross is the same as the one used in Black Widow, or is it just from the same line?

48 Hours in water - MNS forum photo galleries

Good luck on your projects as well. :cool:

TheZ

Last edited:
Hello fellow growers,

Every single La Niña seed popped in 48 hours, except for one little fucker who couldn't break the seed coat. A little prenatal surgery was performed and it was indeed stuck. It's alive! Transferred to light mix and it will possibly survive. :rolleyes:

The other seedlings are doing ok, I guess. Couldn't resist on popping another 3 seeds: CBD Sweet & Sour Widow, which are not feminized unfortunately. Let's hope the odds are in favor and they turn out to be 3 beautiful females. :cool:

The setup:

TheZ

Hiya Zientist,
Looking forward to your grow. I will be following with great interest :)

I am a relatively new antipodean grower and have just switched 2 NHS and 1 La Nina to flower. 2 of 3 La Nina M yet the lady who is is captivating. Cuttings taken and was thinking of going straight to 12/12 as you are doing.

Thank you for sharing this grow I hope to learn much :D... Your photographs are exemplary!

Peace and all good things to you,
vinno

Howdy MNS,

Vinnno welcome to the thread. Thanks for your compliments and good luck on your journey. Hope you enjoy the upcoming updates. :)

Out of 15 germinated seeds, 6 seedlings have already establish themselves. Therefore, it's day 1 for those.

Temps: 26.5 ºC pH: 6,5

Remember those huge CBD Sweet & Sour Widow? They've shot some tough radicles!

All the other developing seedlings are yet to leave their seed coat, but seem to be thriving.

Kind regards,

TheZ

Last edited:
That's a cool pic of the La Nina embryo and seed coat, great job on the prenatal surgery there. Looking good overall so far, I've only heard good things about the La Nina so I'm excited for you.

Thanks multistrain_gardener, I'm excited about La Niña as well. The seedlings seem to be very vigorous.

Stay in for the update. ;)

Kind regards,

TheZ

Hello MNS,

Day 3: La Niña 1-6

Temperature: 26,8 ºC pH: 6,5

Remember that embryo whom I delivered? :D Seems to be thriving:

And another seedling tearing the protective tissue:

Hope you enjoy, stay close for the next update.

TheZ

Hey zientist, Your seedlings look good. I also got a pack of the cbd sweet & sour widow so I hope they turn out good for you.

Ive used canna pro soil too. Good product.

Looking forward to seeing these progress.

Youre off to a flying start.

Thanks for sharing :)

Hey mate, good to see you here.

So it seems. This soil handles water very efficiently, maybe due to the nature of spaghanum moss, contains a lot more than Biobizz, which I ran before. Curious to see how much time till a mild N deficiency appears.

Stay tunned. ;)

Last edited:
Hey mate, good to see you here.

So it seems. This soil handles water very efficiently, maybe due to the nature of spaghanum moss, contains a lot more than Biobizz, which I ran before. Curious to see how much time till a mild N deficiency appears.

Stay tunned. ;)

Yeah it stays pretty moist. If you need to dry it out a bit some perlite or hydroton pellets do the trick nicely.

Rock on!!!:D

Hello MNS,

Big update without a lot of cool stuff. :eek:

Temps: 25,4ºC pH: 6,5

Watering: pHed tap water 100ml, every couple days

The pots (3L) were sterilized with a solution of ethanol. I'm kind of a mean bug paranoid since a recent disaster with the mighty spider. The Soil used was Canna Professional plus.

Day 5 for La Niña 1-6 and Day 1 for La Niña 7-15 and Sweet & Sour Widow 1-3, except for La Niña #7, which was removed from seed manually (RFS notation).

Take a look:

La Niña #15 seems to be having some trouble developing a decent root and will prolly stay behind all the others, might not make it with the 12/12 regime I suppose.

The CBD's are doing fine:

Hope you enjoy the current update, more will follow. :cool:

Kind regards,

TheZ

Last edited:
Hello MNS,

Day 12

The plants are thriving despite some thrips showing up. They've made minor damage to almost all plants.

At day 8 I've sprayed them with a solution of 80% Neem oil and 20% citric acid and a small clipfan was added for air movement improvement. The thrips sightings have been reduced in about 60% since.

This soil seems to hold up water quite well and also remain aerated. As I'm getting used to it, I've learned it dries slower than Biobizz, which I used previously, so less frequent and smaller watering.

Since La Niña #15 ended up on being a runt, I germinated a Neville's Skunk as a substitute, from a pack that arrived from MNS Auctions earlier. Let's see if I can get a male from that one. La Niña x Neville's skunk sounds interesting. :)

The 3 CBD widows are placed in the last column from left to right.

pH: 6,5 Temps: 25.5ºC

Watering: 80ml every couple days.

How do you think they are vegging, considering they are in 12/12 from seed? I getting the feeling that La Niña isn't as a quick veger as I though. I mean, they're forming new leaves but the leaflets are rather small. The CBD first leaves (single leaflets) are huge in comparison!

Hope you've enjoyed.

Kind regards,

TheZ

Day 19

Hello MNS,

Day 19

Temps: 26.5 º pH: 6,5​

They are developing faster now. La Niña exhibits minor leaf variability between phenotypes (LÑ#1 is the thinnest and LÑ#10 the widest). CBD Sweet & Sour Widow appears to be very uniform and no phenotypical variation is yet apparent in any of the three plants.
They can't be properly sexed yet, a part from one La Niña that has already developed nodal immature pollen sacs.

In the next update I'll select a couple of males from both La Niña and CBD Widow and cull all others. I'll also be changing the 3L pots for 7L pots.

What do you guys have to say about Male Selection? Do you have any particular guidelines/criteria? What about long-term male pollen storage? :)

Btw, that seedling is a 2 day old Neville's Skunk.

Kind regards,

TheZ

Attachments

• Day19.jpg
    Day19.jpg
    995.2 KB · Views: 28
  • day 19 2.jpg
    day 19 2.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Day 21

Hello MNS,

Day 21

Temps: 25.1 º pH: 6,3​

They are growing vigorously, enjoying the 12/12 it seems.

Every single plant can now be sexed properly and I can say the odds are in my favor. Out of 14 established La Niñas, 9 were females. And out of 3 CBD Widow, 2 were females. Summing it all, 11 females out of 17 plants.

Repotting into 7L and 11L pots will be performed at Day 23.

Regards,

TheZ

Attachments

• day 21.jpg
    day 21.jpg
    961.6 KB · Views: 29
Back