Shit - looking for a keeper and a nice male for some seeds

Libeccio

hey fellows!
it's a pleasure to start my first thread here at mr. nice.
I have 6 shits in my room (along with some AF and some nigerian sativa). I'm looking for a keeper and for a nice male to collect some pollen to play around. :) I absolutely have no ambition in breeding, i just want to make some seeds for myself (and for fun) :).

Anyways, atm some plants are 3-4 weeks old, some other a couple.
4 of them are in 0,8 L containers, still in the veg space (which consists of a 110W neon propagator panel 6500 °K and 3x32W cfl 6400 °K) and the oldest 2 are in the flowering tent (80x80x160 cm with a 250 W hps) in 2,7 L pots. the tent is still going at 18/6 as i have 3 autoflowering. as soon as the autos are ready, i will sex and start play for real with my Shits. :) (i use biobizz lightmix or plagron lght mix and biobizz allmix as medium and biobizz nutes + plagron alga bloom).

4 plants are already showing preflowers. the 2 in the tent (one male one fem) and other 2 in the veg space, another male and female (this one is reeeaaally special, i'll tell you later... :)).
i don't want to have more than one male (for my homemade pollination is more than enough), so i'll choose one and remove all the others. i think i might have found my stallion already, the one in the tent. if i rubb the stem it's really stinky! this male and another one from the nigerian sativa i have will flower in a separated cab. i only need one branch of staminate flowers per plant. this way i will safely collect the pollen.
some photos!
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10859-shit-babies.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10857-sweet-baby.jpg

same seedlings some days after...
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10860-shits-lil-older.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10858-sweet-seedling.jpg

a very special seedling, born with only cotyledons...
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10862-only-cotyledons-shit-freak.jpg

some days after, 2 alligned couple of real leaves... real tiny...
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10861-only-cotyledons-shit-freak-some-days-older-you-can-see-2-alligned-pair-real-leaves.jpg

i understood, at that point, she was probably going to selftop herself right from the 1st node... but some days after i saw this and couldn't believe my eyes...
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10869-freak.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10863-pistils-2-weeks-old-seedling.jpg

female preflowers! never saw anything like this from such a young seedling... do you think she's really going to be female? i hope so... :)

the biggest 2, the ones in the tent, one male one female (sorry no pics of the preflowers... soon!) - male should be the one on the left, nice plant!
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10866-biggests-shits-vegging-250-w-hps-tent.jpg

a couple more shots... so far i really like them! :)
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10864-all-my-shits.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10868-sweet-shit.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10867-shit-nice-bushiness.jpg

that's it for now... comments and advices are always welcome! :) ciao! Lib.

Last edited:
Hi
looking great nice plants - nearly got some shit - sounds so wrong lol :D
pre-flowers on a seedling - new one on me - others may have more info ?

Great Green >>> grow on and

hey pcragz, thanks for your comment. :) yeah, that seedling with preflowers is really strange! it's kind of a freak little plant but i already love her. :) i would really like to hear if others have any experience on this... cheers! :) lib.

Great looking plants! They look super happy plus I like the tight internodal spacing and the wide leaves. If you rub the stem do they have distinct smells?

I`ve definitely never seen or heard of a seedling with pre-flowers. I guess she`s really proud of herself and just can`t wait to strut her stuff :D

Great looking plants! They look super happy plus I like the tight internodal spacing and the wide leaves. If you rub the stem do they have distinct smells?

I`ve definitely never seen or heard of a seedling with pre-flowers. I guess she`s really proud of herself and just can`t wait to strut her stuff :D

hi multistrain gardener, thanks a lot for your nice comment! :) as you, i love bushy plants and wide afganica leaves... :)

i am rubbing the stems of the 2 males i found among my shits... they are both quite smelly and the odour is similar...
the bigger male in the 2,7 L pot is healty and really vigorous, the rubbed stem smells of skunk (at first) plus pine and mint.
the other one, smaller in the 0,8 L pot, also smells skunky but a little more piney and minty plus something sweet in the back, berry-like, a feature his older brother doesn't have. with a microscope, i can see thricomes (mostly heads) on both.
so now i have a doubt, and could use some advices, also because this is the first time i keep males for controlled pollination. i don't need more than one shit male, and i was thinking to remove one of these 2. i was thinking to get rid of the bigger one (really a shame, it's a gorgeous plant), just because it's bigger and i always need space. they look and smell quite similar (apart from size). this way i can make room in the tent for one or two plants and keep the smaller male under cfl and in that 0,8 L pot until i let it flower in a separeted cab. do you think this makes sense? :)
i will give you some male pics next days. :) thanks for watching and reading, hasta pronto! ;) Lib. p.s. i'm already in love with the freak seedling with hairs! i have a nice feeling about it... :)

If you are able to keep and flower the males in a separate space, why not keep both? You mentioned earlier you only need small amounts of male flowers to get the pollen you need and that is correct. Just keep the plants small making sure you have enough bud sites to get the flowers you need. Start the girls in flower a couple weeks before the males.

Selecting males is hard, especially if you don’t let the plants grow out for as much observation as possible. By using both at least you know you didn’t toss the wrong plant.

By the way, that seedling showing her stuff is pretty cool, is she showing any preflowers on the lateral branches too?

Is that pistil coming from a calyx, can you get a shot from other side? Often young plants have new growth that initially may look pistil like but if a true calyx/pistil that is unusual but not unheard of. c99 is one line that shows very early, but generally not that early!

Regarding male pollen, I would just collect both and mix them as I like mixing male pollen and increasing possible diversity. Shit does have some variation-- IMO shit is more like superskunk vs sk1 with the afg dom recross but still mostly stable. I did find a few phenos that are smaller but actually prefer some of the larger more sativa side of the line myself relative to the high. It is a very adaptable strain and can be vigorously trained/pruned in smaller setting if need be.

I used one of the shit cuts in some PC of my own (used LN pollen), of which I have had lots of fun growing out. Even have found a keeper from this cross (mosh) which rivals any bud I have ever grown relative to what I like.

If you are able to keep and flower the males in a separate space, why not keep both? You mentioned earlier you only need small amounts of male flowers to get the pollen you need and that is correct. Just keep the plants small making sure you have enough bud sites to get the flowers you need. Start the girls in flower a couple weeks before the males.

Selecting males is hard, especially if you don’t let the plants grow out for as much observation as possible. By using both at least you know you didn’t toss the wrong plant.

By the way, that seedling showing her stuff is pretty cool, is she showing any preflowers on the lateral branches too?
hey betterhaff, thanks for your reply! :)
i have to think about it... (males)... what's most practical for me... i don't want to mess up too much. my main goal is to find a keeper, seed making is just something i've been wishing to try for a long time, kind of an experiment... :) i have a small cab i was thinking to use only for flowering males. i have space only for a couple of plants, and i was thinking to keep one shit male and one male from these african sativas i have going at the same time. as you say, to find a female keeper is easy: you grow her and smoke her, and then you decide. :) i am a beginner with males, and i realize it's a lot harder... but you're totally right! we'll see... :) in other words, it is difficult for me right now with my current setup and limited space, to really select males... i think i'll just have to keep one... it wasn't real selection anyways because as you say i can't let the plant grow and observe its development... (and thank you for the nice advice about letting females flower earlier than males).
regarding the weird seedling, no, there are no preflowers on lateral branches... i will update with some pics tomorrow or sunday. for now, thanks a lot for your precious words! best, lib.
Is that pistil coming from a calyx, can you get a shot from other side? Often young plants have new growth that initially may look pistil like but if a true calyx/pistil that is unusual but not unheard of. c99 is one line that shows very early, but generally not that early!

Regarding male pollen, I would just collect both and mix them as I like mixing male pollen and increasing possible diversity. Shit does have some variation-- IMO shit is more like superskunk vs sk1 with the afg dom recross but still mostly stable. I did find a few phenos that are smaller but actually prefer some of the larger more sativa side of the line myself relative to the high. It is a very adaptable strain and can be vigorously trained/pruned in smaller setting if need be.

I used one of the shit cuts in some PC of my own (used LN pollen), of which I have had lots of fun growing out. Even have found a keeper from this cross (mosh) which rivals any bud I have ever grown relative to what I like.

hey sysadmin, thanks a lot for passing by! :)
about the preflowered seedling: i will try to take some shots of the eventual calyx... i had the thought it was new growth, but what makes me think it isn't is that those hairs havent' grown a millimeter in the past week... i guess if it really was new growth it would have developed a little... i will update with some more focused pictures. :)
regarding the pollen issue, you're absolutely right and thanks a lot for some nice insights on the subject. :) as i was saying, i am a beginner with males and collecting pollen, so i'd like to take it easy as i don't even have the means for real male selection. i have to learn on my skin how to deal with the whole thing... so i think i'll probably end up keeping only one shit male (the smaller one... just had a look at him... sooo nice!). you seem like someone who knows this strain really well... thanks for your precious info! we'll talk later, i'll keep updating. best, Lib.

hey boys & girls,
so here's a little update from my shit grow. :)
i have spotted one female and 2 males (plus the baby freak plant with female preflowers). 2 are still undecided. :)

a group shot to start:
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10875-shits.jpg

nice female. i'm glad she's less bushy, i read from some people here, the lankier phenos are usually a really nice smoke.
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10881-female.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10878-female-preflower.jpg

and here the 2 males. both are very nice as previously discussed. i am going to keep the smaller one. few more days to be sure they're males than i'll sadly kill to bigger male. so it goes...
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10876-males.jpg

bigger one's proflower.
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10880-male-preflower.jpg

and the other one's...
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10877-male-preflower.jpg

some shoots of the nice freak plant... i tried to get a picture of the first internode from the top (where the plant topped). i don't think i can see a calyx. i just see those two pistils coming up from the internode. what do you think?
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10882-freak.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10879-freak.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10883-detail.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10884-baby-pistils-zoom.jpg

that's it for now. i'm chopping a couple of AF soon, so i'll have space inside the hps tent. i'm gonna sex these soon, to have a better idea... i hope to find some more females! :)
best, Lib.

i'm back with my shit :)

hey everyone,
i'm back with my shit plants!
some quick updates: spotted 4 females. so it's 4 females out of 6 plants, more than ok! took clones from all the females, plus i have a male clone (a very nice male) for later pollination (i have decided to keep the male clone as a bonsai dad and chuck some pollen later when i have a better idea about all my shit females...).
a pic from about 3 weeks ago... the 2 biggest plants had just started flowering...
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10915-shits-4-females-out-6-seeds.jpg

a week later flowering was evident:
#1 moved to 6,5 L pot
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10916-shit-1-6-5-l-pot.jpg

#2 - 2,7 L pot
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10917-shit-2-2-7-l-pot.jpg

#4 - slowest and shortest plant
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10924-shit-4-2-7-l-pot.jpg

Last edited:
the following pictures are from 2 days ago.
plants are starting to emit a certain range of odours and i can start to kind of sort the phenos out.

shit #1 - pheno #1 - plant in the 6,5 L pot. nice structure, spiraling bud formation, long main cola. her odour is among the sweetest i have ever met: a super sweet fruity odour, like a berry gummy candy. really like it! clones rooted fast, general vigour is nice... i have to wait until i smoke her, but so far she looks like a nice keeper. :)
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10918-shit-1-6-5-l-pot.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10919-shit-1-6-5-l-pot.jpg

shit #2 - pheno #2 - very different structure. allingned bud formation, conic top buds, shorter and a little more indica. the odour is totally different: this one is around rotten/burnt plastic/fuel.
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10920-shit-2-2-7-l-pot.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10921-shit-2-2-7-l-pot.jpg

these 2 plants are kind of setting the reference for this grow. (the other 2 are a little behind and so the odours are a little more difficult to recognize...) the first 2 plants are 2 quite different phenos, the other 2 are kind of leaning towards one or the other (lankier/bushier, spiraling/alligned, ecc).

plant #3 was previously known as the freak, but now she has great vigour and probably is the highest plant in my grow (considering she's only in the 2,7 l pot). leaning more towards pheno #1, she did selftop herself in her very early days, and now she's structured with 2 colas, one dominant over the other, and very little secondary growth.
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10922-shit-3-formerly-known-freak-2-7-l-pot.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10923-shit-3-formerly-known-freak-2-7-l-pot.jpg

libeccio-albums-shit-picture10925-shit-3-formerly-known-freak-2-7-l-pot.jpg

and some rooted clones (got 100% rate for clones :)). on the right (topped) the 2 soon to be bonsai mums for #1 and #2
libeccio-albums-shit-picture10926-shit-clones-soon-bonsai-mums.jpg

that's it for now! i would really appreciate any info and/or advice about these shit's phenos. ciao! ;)

Last edited:
Nice ones ! how skunky do they smell, or not ? ;)

hey bigbag, thanks for reading! i think i have answered your question in the other post... :) anyways, #2 is a little more skunky with a lot of rot and fuel... so not quite the typical skunk (for the fuel i mean). #1 is super fruity as i explained, so not so skunky :) the other 2 might turn out a little more skunk like... ciao! ;)

Awesome thread, don't have much advice other than keep up the great work! Thanks for sharing your experience with Shit, your plants look great and I like your detailed pheno descriptions and pics.

Heres The Earliest Plantlet I've Sexed ( It's Called Charriot ). Deffo Female;)
JKP
( P.S; Shit Is A Great Strain. ShitxShark Shock ( Self Crossed) Is Also Fantastic

Attachments

• Earliest Sexed Plants Ever- March7-2013.jpg
    Earliest Sexed Plants Ever- March7-2013.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 29
  • MrNiceShit-First Grow.jpg
    MrNiceShit-First Grow.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Burnt Shark Shock x Shit-feb22.jpg
    Burnt Shark Shock x Shit-feb22.jpg
    905.8 KB · Views: 51
Awesome thread, don't have much advice other than keep up the great work! Thanks for sharing your experience with Shit, your plants look great and I like your detailed pheno descriptions and pics.
hey dude thanks a lot for the nice words! :) i will keep updating... ;)
Heres The Earliest Plantlet I've Sexed ( It's Called Charriot ). Deffo Female;)
JKP
( P.S; Shit Is A Great Strain. ShitxShark Shock ( Self Crossed) Is Also Fantastic

hey JKP thanks for dropping by! :) is that seedling with preflowers (charriot :)) shit as well? i guess it's a strain with an early preflowering tendency... :D i might do a "self cross" of shit, thanks for your contribution with those nice pics! :)

looking great

I think shit is one of the most underrated strains. I like the sativa side myself and have a cut I regularly run that looks like your 1 and 3 samples. Again a great high that I reach for all the time.

I think shit is one of the most underrated strains. I like the sativa side myself and have a cut I regularly run that looks like your 1 and 3 samples. Again a great high that I reach for all the time.

hey man, thanks for your comment! i thought #1 was close to some sativa leaning shit, very happy to have it confirmed from you. :) the smell is incredible, really. sooo sweet! like blueberry (or cassis) bubblegum... very intense... it's like entering a candy store... i can't wait to sample her! :D i have kept the cut myself (of all 4)... how long does your sativa cut take to finish? and i'm happy to have the indica side as well, with #2. its smell has changed from the very rotten/fuelish to a quite typical old school skunk smell... quite hard nugs... i'll keep both! cheers! :D

Back