CM first time grow

sup, nice..don't know about critical mass's idiosyncrasies re feeding levels, and u probably got enough questions bombarding your brain on a first grow, but i thought i'd add that i would be more inclined to be dosing them with a 1/4 strength nutrient rather then 1/2.. if they want more they'll let u know.. perhaps Dawn or someone familiar with the strain can add their experience to the matter or correct me if neccessary.. cheers, and have fun!

Hey no problem Nicessity, my wife is Dawn. I grow for her, I don't use it so I thought it was a fitting name for here. :p

What a dedicated husband! haha

What height do you think I should start flowering the CM if I want them to end up about 1 meter tall?

sup, nice..don't know about critical mass's idiosyncrasies re feeding levels, and u probably got enough questions bombarding your brain on a first grow, but i thought i'd add that i would be more inclined to be dosing them with a 1/4 strength nutrient rather then 1/2.. if they want more they'll let u know.. perhaps Dawn or someone familiar with the strain can add their experience to the matter or correct me if neccessary.. cheers, and have fun!

True, I could tell immediately when I overfed them when they were seedlings. They're very sensitive to overfeeding, I think. I'm still feeding them seedling/cutting strength described on the bottle, which is about 1/4 strength that of small plant growth recommendation. When do you think I should move up to half strength?

hey all, hey nice.. i think if you're attentive to your plants, they'll let u know when they want and what they like... in the mean time, i 'd suggest educating one's eyes to what beautifully grown plants look like... lots of examples 'round the boards ( sweet place, this ) .. then the skies the limit! ya dig? cheers all . .. .jj

p.s. hope this helps somehow?!..

Last edited:
hey all, hey nice.. i think if you're attentive to your plants, they'll let u know when they want and what they like... in the mean time, i 'd suggest educating one's eyes to what beautifully grown plants look like... lots of examples 'round the boards ( sweet place, this ) .. then the skies the limit! ya dig? cheers all . .. .jj

p.s. hope this helps somehow?!..

That's a good idea, thank you!

I think I've got the grow under control now. The plants have the right pH. I'm gonna change nutrients on sunday cause i put them in it on sunday, or should I wait a little longer? But the temp in the room and the temp of the water is about 82 with light on, 73-5 with it off. I don't have a humidifier, but i have a 15" pan that I keep filled with water, sitting in the light that is below the fan current, and it keeps it very humid in there. I'll cut the humidity when It's approaching harvest though.

It feels like a warm day in the Amazon Rainforest in my closet, now, since I put that BIG pan of water in there, instead of the small bowl I had. I guess all I do now is just change water once a week, change the MH to HPS and change cycle to 12/12 when I want to flower, and then just wait till harvest?

BTW jj, how big should I let my CM babies get before flowering? Dawn said they grow really slow in veg, but when you turn them to flowering, they turn into a monster.

-nice-

UPDATE! (obviously, I'm excited and do updates every few days hehe)

Plant 1 at 3 weeks (and to think I almost threw her away as a sprout cause I thought I had killed her!)
IMG00089-20110519-1519.jpg

Plant 2 at 2 weeks
IMG00090-20110519-1519.jpg

I'm very happy with their progress!

Very nice looking, I am very excited for you. I think # 1 can go to 1/2 strength.
I put mine into flower when they were 12" to 18" inches. I was frustrated with how small some of the plants were when I put them into flower but once I saw the buds growing I knew it would be ok. This plant stretched a bit but not too much. I topped the first seedlings so I could clone them which gave me four bud sites. This caused the plants to droop in 4 directions and cost me flower time and yield because I cloned and put right into flower. From the clones I took cuttings from the bottom branches and vegged a couple of weeks then put into flower. I feel this was a better method as it produced one main cola that was humungous. Very dense and beautiful. The popcorn buds on the lower branches were like normal size of any other strain so that was extra bud as well. Leaving one main cola did pose a problem in that I had to steak it up so it wouldn't break off. I jokingly told Nevil, the creator of this strain, about this problem and he said, "Yea, it's like having too much money." I agree, it's a problem that we can happily deal with!

PS,
Keep a fan on them to make the stock strong for flowering. I found the fan in veg and flower really helped strengthen them.

Keep up with the pics :D,
Dawn

Gotcha mate!

I have them getting a little breeze but ill definitely turn the wind up! I didn't even think about how it would make the stem stronger!

I don't know if I will be cloning these babies because idk how I would veg the clones and flower the big momma at the same time since I have only one room. :( ill prolly start from seed again. Or is it possible to make the mom grow slower so I don't constantly have to cut the limbs? I really just want a whole lot of bud from these two girls haha! I could clone on the next grow, maybe. I'm not very educated on cloning, though :/

Hey Nicessity, I had a thought, You could let the plants grow for a while so they get big and produce more. Just a thought.

Haha, you would say that. "Yea go ahead and let it veg an extra 2 weeks... Cough cough" trying to get the new guy to unknowingly create a monster just to see what itd look like to veg cm for two months! Haha

But I am actually considering your idea that I should veg for an unusually long time, considering the fact that I'm really high! :)

-nice-

veg longer for sure!! LMFAO!!!

looking good btw Nice, i wish i had the balls to try aero! im staying tuned to see whatcha get goin!

veg longer for sure!! LMFAO!!!

looking good btw Nice, i wish i had the balls to try aero! im staying tuned to see whatcha get goin!

I switched out of the aeroponics system for my first run haha. The system works good but I will be gone for 2 weeks to the beach and I wanted to make it easiest on the person who will be changing the res for those two weeks, so I just moved both plants into their own 5 gal res which are standard DWC systems, mate!

I am very proud of my aeroponic system though. It works great, it's just a homemade first build, but it does what it's supposed to, just a hassle for my mate to clean and change out while I'm gone. I'll use it next time, for sure though.

Here are some pics of the aeroponic system I built without directions, just a hacksaw and glue haha. I didn't even have a way to measure lengths! haha
IMG00085-20110518-1019.jpg

IMG00084-20110518-1016.jpg

IMG00087-20110518-1020.jpg

IMG00082-20110518-1014.jpg

this is the part i'm proud of building with no experience haha \/
IMG00083-20110518-1014.jpg

I guess it was an okay build for a noob who doesn't build anything. But the dwc is so much easier and I don't have to worry about a timer malfunctioning or a sprinkler lodging up.

hey all , nice, Dawn..

lookin mad.. lookin fun! you definately seem commited. do u have much general gardening experience? found a couple of good books?

-i'd definately advise u to study up on how to take cuttings. a crucial, crucial skill of any cannabis grower! certainly give it a high priority.

-with regards to what size to grow em before bloom, i suggest we figure that out together.. keep takin pics, and we'll take it step by step...

until soon, cheers all.... . .jj

Last edited:
hey all , nice, Dawn..

lookin mad.. lookin fun! you definately seem commited. do u have much general gardening experience? found a couple of good books?

-i'd definately advise u to study up on how to take cuttings. a crucial, crucial skill of any cannabis grower! certainly give it a high priority.

-with regards to what size to grow em before bloom, i suggest we figure that out together.. keep takin pics, and we'll take it step by step...

until soon, cheers all.... . .jj

Haha that sounds good mate. But no, I have no gardening experience, whatsoever haha. I've rampaged the internet for all the info thus far. But I really just don't want to wait too long to flower the cm and then it grows out of my closet. But, have no fear, I will update a whole bunch along the way.

By the way. I will be going to half strength, instead of 1/4 strength tomorrow for both plants because they are almost the same size. I realize that they will start needing to drink more water everyday as they get older, how do I keep up with that? Just top with water and balance pH again or top with nutrient solution?

hey guys, omg these guys are growing great, even at seedling-strength nutrient.

I have a few pics I just took right now, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow (10 hours from now) to give an update pic because I bet they'll look even better then haha. I'm kind of getting scared of wether I should go ahead and flower if they're growing this rapidly right now on 18/6 at 1/4 strength. Tomorrow morning I am switching them both to 1/2 strength. I'll take a pic or two to show the growth in 4 days from my last upload. Then I'll take a pic a couple of days later to see if the doubled nutrient strength made them jump! I'm excited! See you guys tomorrow!

cool little system - nothing like some gehto DIY - I do it all the time.

One bit of advice for you mate. Don't use clear pipe for anything when growing.

Light + Nutrients = fungus + nasty shit in your hydro system that will probably kill your plants or make them mad sick..

Just wrap that pipe joining the two tanks with some black electrical tape and you'll be laughing

cool little system - nothing like some gehto DIY - I do it all the time.

One bit of advice for you mate. Don't use clear pipe for anything when growing.

Light + Nutrients = fungus + nasty shit in your hydro system that will probably kill your plants or make them mad sick..

Just wrap that pipe joining the two tanks with some black electrical tape and you'll be laughing

I hear ya mate.

I actually am not using the system i pictured above. I am running a two-container dwc system. Got the air pump running two black 1/4" tubing to the airstones inside. i painted the tops of them silver so there is no light inside. i don't want any nasty stuff inside haha

thanks for the post though. do you have a current grow?

here they are after nute switch to half strength

Plant 1 (3.25 weeks)
IMG00104-20110522-2001.jpg

Plant 2 (2.25 weeks)
IMG00105-20110522-2001.jpg

Plant 1 and 2
IMG00106-20110522-2001.jpg

VERY HAPPY, COMMENTS WELCOME!

THANKS!

-nice-

Very nice looking plants and buckets. I tried deep water culture and the humidity was harder to control for me. Be mindful of this when you flower as I had some bud rot with CM and that was in soil which doesn't create as much humidity. Be sure to evacuate the air properly so you don't end up like I did.

Thanks for the warning Dawn!

Would it be a good idea to put a dehumidifier in the room when I start flowering?

i've noticed a little bit of leaf curling along the edges of a few larger, older leaves. maybe due to heat stress, but the room isn't that hot and i have the fan blowing constantly. what i've done is backed the fan off a little so they get a light breeze instead of constant wind and backed the light off to just under a yard away because they will still get more than enough light, having a 400w mh and only these two plants under it. i also thought it may be nutrient shock because i changed nutes to small plant veg strength, about 1/2 what full strength is from 1/4 strength (seedling). They may be adjusting to the new nutes, I will see how they do with the light backed off and not so much wind.

also, i am putting the fan on a timer with the lights while in veg so they don't get so drained from all the transpiration from the leaves, which may be another cause of the curling. the leaf color is a very solid green and there are no signs of deficiency. I don't think the increased concentration is causing nute burn, either, because the leaves aren't yellowing or browning on the edges, just slight curling on a few of the older leaves. any comments?

P.S.

Plant 2 seems to have a taller pheno because the nodes are spaced about 2-3 times as far apart as plant 1. Both are compact, but plant 1 has more growth under canopy and plant 2 is seeming to be more branchy, still lush.

hey nice.. diagnosis without pics is always hard. regarding fans, the usual method is to keep 'em on constant, low setting and oscillating..

CM is susceptible to problems with mold in high humidity conditions during the later part of flower due to the large size of it's buds.. least that's what i'v read., so get yourself a hygrometer so u can monitor this.

lookin gorgeous so far! okay, cheers... . .. .jj

hey nice.. diagnosis without pics is always hard. regarding fans, the usual method is to keep 'em on constant, low setting and oscillating..

CM is susceptible to problems with mold in high humidity conditions during the later part of flower due to the large size of it's buds.. least that's what i'v read., so get yourself a hygrometer so u can monitor this.

lookin gorgeous so far! okay, cheers... . .. .jj

Thanks mate!

here are pics of the curling, but i've also included a pic of how they've grown since 2 days ago :)

here they are at 3.5 and 2.5 weeks, respectively

Photo of Plant 1 (3.5 weeks)

Just a photo of Plant 2 (2.5 weeks)

Plant 2 slight curling (blurry, sorry)

the other leaf that is curling on Plant 2

They look healthy, I think, I just backed the fan off because I was bringing the wind to them, along with the help of Gronn!haha.
Anyways, noob mess-up!

Tell me what you guys think!

Back