White Widow revisited

Big Sur

So I was cruising the web today since we are shit in in Oregon now due to the Wahun Corona Virus, and I found this. It seems that even today with Shantibaba still around and kicking, they claim that White Widow's parentage is unknown and cannot be confirmed. I got a good laugh at this. Of course there are several White Widow strains out there, with conflicts of interests over the name between GHS and MrN.

This from the, I love growing mj site: https://shop.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/products/white-widow-marijuana-seeds

White Widow’s history starts in the Netherlands back in the 1990s. There it was bred as a hybrid strain making it one of Europe’s earliest cannabis imports. Experts contend that this strain is either a cross between South American Sativa and South Indian Indica while others say the sativa comes from Brazilian Sativa landrace. While experts can’t come to a conclusion on its origin...

Last edited:
"Experts contend?"

I will leave it to the guy that bred it originally, as I know he has posted about the history of WW here on Mr Nice many times.

I grew White Widow from an old local medical cut about 5 years ago. Man, time flies... anyway, it was bullet proof and came in on the early side of harvesting. It was good day weed to smoke. No couch lock to it. Good amount of white trichomes when mature, and while it had a strong smell, it did not reek like OG Kush. It was more old school than modern. I have seen/smoked the GHS knock-off version of this strain. It has a more muddied high to it. I also have MrN seeds of Black Widow that I have yet to grow. I presume that BW will be like the original WW. The Brazil x Kerala or Kerala x Brazil strain. I forget which way it was bred. to me the best hybrids out there are landrace x landrace. Or Landrace x heirlooms.

Here is a photo of one of a dozen WW's that I grew here in early bloom. Back then it was legal to trade and sell plants and clones to other medical growers. These WW cuts were in demand. And they were traded freely here. No longer...

attachment.php

Attachments

• White Widow.JPG
    White Widow.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
The Brazil x Kerala or Kerala x Brazil strain. I forget which way it was bred.
Here is a photo of one of a dozen WW's that I grew here in early bloom. Back then it was legal to trade and sell plants and clones to other medical growers. These WW cuts were in demand. And they were traded freely here. No longer...

it's female brasil X male kerala

Haha, yeah had a massive argument with Todd Mc about this.
Idiot even sent me an article he wrote about "The Widow Maker" Ingmar..or whatever the idiots called.
The pics in the article are of indenticle clones...most likely a Widow clone he got hold of.
Pretty sure his Old WW was a hybrid with Skunk#1, smoked it when white widow web was around, Ingmar's old seedbank.
The version he has now is probly bx,d.
Still, not like the real deal!!

I'd like to hear shanti about this.. only because I can only ever remember him saying he was the first to produce white widow in seed form and has the parent plants. That doesn't really say his creation... or does it? Lol..

Haha, yeah had a massive argument with Todd Mc about this.
Idiot even sent me an article he wrote about "The Widow Maker" Ingmar..or whatever the idiots called.
The pics in the article are of indenticle clones...most likely a Widow clone he got hold of.
Pretty sure his Old WW was a hybrid with Skunk#1, smoked it when white widow web was around, Ingmar's old seedbank.
The version he has now is probly bx,d.
Still, not like the real deal!!

Eeesh, Toddy McFraudy has a WW story too? Did Dave Watson breed it originally at his advanced secret Sacred Seeds genetic engineering farm in Corrolitos, CA where he was the universe's top breeder of all time, and sell it to Shanti via Todd? And like did Todd hold back some beans and is selling them now for a ransom? Or did Todd get the WW strain from Arjan that replaced Shanti's strain after he left GHS?

The problem with WW according to Shanti here in many of his posts is that when he left GHS he took the parents of WW with him, but not the name. Arjan/GHS retains the rights to the name WW. So Arjan&Co. bred another strain that was "similar" to WW, but from completely different genetics. Shanti later re-bred the WW parents to come up with Black Widow, a sibling to the original WW. At least that is what I gleaned from the earlier posts here about it. And yes, Shanti is credited with being the one that bred original WW. Though not all the "EXPERTS" agree. Even in current times no one can agree on anything and they are mired in fictional embellishments.

I have come across several original cuts of WW here that were the same back in the medical days here. Some newer cuts are completely different. GHS can sell whatever beans they want and call them White Widow. They are all fems now though. GHS WW beans are currently available online at Seedman for about £5 a pop. Note also that thre are now dozens of new seed companies popping up on the US West Coast that are all claiming to have lots of original genetics, like Skunk #0, original White Widow, Afghani #1 and Original Haze. They all have the same story line about some guy sourcing the original beans and religiously breeding them true for 30-40 years now, year in and year out. Caveat emptor...

Last edited:
The Black Widow story currently listed on Leafly:

Black Widow

Originally created by legendary breeder Shantibaba when he was co-owner of Green House Seeds, Black Widow was then known as White Widow. When Shantibaba left GHS and found Mr. Nice Seeds, he took the original Brazilian sativa mother and South Indian indica-dominant hybrid father with him to recreate his world renowned White Widow seeds. Because GHS and others were selling seeds with the name White Widow, he changed the name to Black Widow to create a distinction between them. Black Widow is now considered by many to be the only “true” White Widow available in seed form, as Mr. Nice is the lone seed breeder to possess the original parental genetics.

Now an interesting sub-debate is that some list the Kerala parent as a sativa, which I would expect. Yet others list the Kerala as an indica dominant mother plant. We considered original White Widow as "Day weed" and not a strong indica couch lock dominant plant.

I have also come across a strain called Clockwork Orange that is Black Widow bred IBL?

Last edited:
10min in, Critical mass. classic... It's all just a little bit of history repeating. Scott's laugh knowing it, makes me laugh ..

Aloha,

In a world full of imposters and poseurs it is refreshing to see the real deal. I liked his mention of southern Italy ha ;) Is that a glass of Barolo I see? :D

🤙
Mu

Back