Jakes Nordle Mother Hunt

blowingupjake

Mothership Connection
Hello MNS faithful,

Now that my CH mother hunt is in progress I have decided to add Nordle to my selection project.

I planted 4 seeds on 1/31/16 and they are under the dome with my rooting cuttings.

So- what i am looking for out of the Nordle is pain relief and muscle relaxation. I am a building maintenance guy and it takes a tole on my muscles and joints. I had a plant my friend was working on for a long time that helped me but it's gone now. And i can't find my friend. Hopefully the nordle will fill that void and be around for a while.

All experienced Nordle growers--- what am i looking for? Any particular traits that you noticed on a good pain killer plant?

Tips, advice, scolds, whatever! It's all welcome.

I will update once they have broken ground.

Happily Hazed!!!

Jake

Hey man ill be following along, a couple of weeks ago i started 4 Nordle as well! Ive never grown it before but have grown plenty of superskunk, ive never had a bad one, its just comes down to personal taste after you have smoked them. Im looking for a quick flowering girl, 6-7 weeks, im sure i can find it this line,4 or 5 seeds at a time!!

Tagged in for this, got a pack of nordle on ice for years & thinking about putting them in the woods somewhere this summer.

Good luck with these, homie! :)

Right on, mi amigos!

Thanks for tuning in!

Alecky, how are yours looking so far?

Patrick, happy to have your attention! The grow with your gal pal has been interesting! :)

Update on the Nordle:

4 of 4 have popped and are strong enough for my wind tunnel veg tent, which is outstanding for seedlings who were still seeds on January 31st.

Thats all for now!

Jake

Best of luck Bro!

Going to follow this as well.

My first criticism/question :D :
Why "only" 4 seeds? You mentioned the seedlings are in the dome alongside other plants but I would say that going on a mother hunt with only 4 seeds is fairly limited.
I assume you are simply running at capacity for the time being but would generally suggest more seeds for a mother hunt.
More plants to choose from = better selection outcome (at least in theory, luck of the draw always plays a role ...).

Anyway, wish you all the best Bro!

i have been through quite a bit of Nordle and although it never disspoints it is difficult to explain what to look for as the plants grow almost like clones...this is a line that is extremely homogeneous so you'll really have to sample a few and find what you like best...i'd recommend Nordle for pain/muscle spasms anyday of the week, most of the plants should help and the buds are generally hard as a rock...Nordle yields well, grows easy and has a generally narcotic high that locks you in your chair as time seems to fade away, quite relaxing but there are some knock out plants to be found...there is good reason Shanti chose a mom and dad nordle to use with his various crosses (Ash, AngelHeart, Nev's SK, etc). Nordle i feel is the perfect balance between yield,effect, flavor, visual appeal and extremely easy to grow. I know you can't have everything in a plant but its consistently a good all arounder.
4 Seeds is not enough for a hunt really, I have always felt that flowering a ton of small seed plants in one room quickens the selection, take cuttings and keep the plants that stand out for round 2, these ones earned space in the big girls room :)
Best selection I have had was when i ran 25 girls under a 600w in a 3ftx3ft room, yielded a ton of short stocky buds and then kept the girls that really stood out.
Nordle has very little stretch, some don't even double and they get quite squat and wide quick, a large Nordle will generally take up a lot of space,
just my 2 cents

Best of luck Bro!

Going to follow this as well.

My first criticism/question :D :
Why "only" 4 seeds? You mentioned the seedlings are in the dome alongside other plants but I would say that going on a mother hunt with only 4 seeds is fairly limited.
I assume you are simply running at capacity for the time being but would generally suggest more seeds for a mother hunt.
More plants to choose from = better selection outcome (at least in theory, luck of the draw always plays a role ...).

Anyway, wish you all the best Bro!

Howdy Bro!

Well, the answer is simple: impulse and irresponsible actions. That's what I'm all about!!

Ha-ha. No, I don't know what my deal is. I am currently looking for keepers in a small selection of several strains. I'm also hunting for parents to make an f2 of a diesel cross I made last summer.... I have ADHD and have no one around to tell me no. So, I guess that's it! I'm colouring outside the lines.

I do acknowledge the fact that if I pop a whole pack of something that my odds of finding a keeper are exponentially greater. I just don't care :D

This is my hobby, after all. I know in my CH I state that I am running 3 at a time because of plant count... Well I just blew my cover. I'm not really concerned with that and have expanded my op since I started that thread. More room means an ancy Jake staring at boxes of seeds in the fridge. How can I not try a little this and a little that

Happy to have you on the train, broseph.

Jake

Last edited:
i have been through quite a bit of Nordle and although it never disspoints it is difficult to explain what to look for as the plants grow almost like clones...this is a line that is extremely homogeneous so you'll really have to sample a few and find what you like best...i'd recommend Nordle for pain/muscle spasms anyday of the week, most of the plants should help and the buds are generally hard as a rock...Nordle yields well, grows easy and has a generally narcotic high that locks you in your chair as time seems to fade away, quite relaxing but there are some knock out plants to be found...there is good reason Shanti chose a mom and dad nordle to use with his various crosses (Ash, AngelHeart, Nev's SK, etc). Nordle i feel is the perfect balance between yield,effect, flavor, visual appeal and extremely easy to grow. I know you can't have everything in a plant but its consistently a good all arounder.
4 Seeds is not enough for a hunt really, I have always felt that flowering a ton of small seed plants in one room quickens the selection, take cuttings and keep the plants that stand out for round 2, these ones earned space in the big girls room :)
Best selection I have had was when i ran 25 girls under a 600w in a 3ftx3ft room, yielded a ton of short stocky buds and then kept the girls that really stood out.
Nordle has very little stretch, some don't even double and they get quite squat and wide quick, a large Nordle will generally take up a lot of space,
just my 2 cents

Curious- this is solid input. Thank you very much!!!

I will assume I should not top the Nordle (wasn't planning to) but I was worried about insufficient side branching. Thanks for putting that to bed.

Your description of the narcotic effect is spot on what I'm looking for. Just what I wanted to hear!

Man, I bet selecting from 25 is fun. Lots of sampling;)

Thanks again for dropping in and taking the time to reply so thoroughly.

Jake

I do acknowledge the fact that if I pop a whole pack of something that my odds of finding a keeper are exponentially greater. I just don't care :D

Fair enough :D

@curious
nice info bro!
Did not have Nordle on my radar, just got a pack because it was cheap and so "I have it", you never know :D

But I was still looking into which strain to run in my first round alongside the Shit (which is also homogenous, easy to grow, heardy etc. etc.).
I was eyeing the Ortega because I have some experience with NL#5 but found that the Ortega is actually a bit finicky and requires some experience and some grade of having the setup dialed in.
So maybe I go with the Nordle instead for the first round.

Didn't really want to grow much Indica (aside from Blueberry) but I am hesitant to start out with the hazes and sativas because I feel they will be less forgiving of mistakes I will make while I get back into the groove.

So Nordle might well be the company strain to the Shit for my first round, let's see :)

Back to topic and OP:
Don't you worry or stress about small sample size or whatever. Was just a remark and if you agree that "in theory" a larger sample size is "better" for selection but just consciously decide not to care, then all is well in the world ;)
This is nature we are hobbying with, not machines.
It is my belief that you can never go wrong in handling nature by being yourself and acting impulsively or from your heart. Your setup, the environment you provide your plants .... it's all a part of you, as is the care you give them and how exactly you treat them. So when you are a bit chaotic in nature, you will grow "chaotic" bud either way, unless you really force yourself to be more organized or structured or whatever you wanna call it. And I would bet that the plants would notice and it would be evident in the end result that you were forcing yourself to be different from your natural self.

And who knows, maybe "chaotic bud" is the best bud? :D

Happy growing Bro, all the best!

Broseidon

I've had Nordle on ice for quite a while also. This thread has got me thinking about putting em in those 15 gal pots I just prepped up. That or the Ortega.

Keep the fire burning braddahs.

M

Lame update

Howdy farmers,

The Nordle seeds I popped were done in a "seed starting" soil my wife picked up at home depot. I was low on my Hapy Frog soil so decided to pop em in that stuff......

Never again. They JUST got transplanted out of the starter tray and into 4" square pots of happy frog. Never have I had such a wait before the initial transplant.

Anywhoo- they are still very uniform and are chugging along. Slowly. I am hoping for a bit of a burst of growth after a week in the new dirt under the metal halide lamp. We'll see.

I think I will have to remind myself that this indica dominant line is not going to be the speed demon that the recent stuff has been. Ah, a change of pace, how nice. :)

I will post pictures soon.

Stay hazed!
Jake

Hi Blowingupjake, nice to see Nordle started here and excited for you.;-)

Home Depot growing dirt is full of bugs eggs from my experiences and would recommend you microwave it for at least 20 minutes to kill anything bug wise in the bag before planting anything.

Find a dirt that is Steam Sterilized like "Espoma" Organic potting mix works the best I have seen in a sterilized soil and all my girls look exceptional and absolutely no root eating leaf eating nuesence's.

The one I use for everything is an 8 quart Bag for $6.85 is an excellent bargain.

Peace,

RB;)

Hi RB!
Thanks for stopping in!

I have had great luck with the Fox Farm Happy Frog soil. This is what I typically use start to finish. It doesn't burn seedlings and has enough nutrition to get the plants most of the way through veg with appropriately timed transplanting.
The home depot shit was something new for me. The issue was how sandy or loamy the soil was. It didn't dry out evenly and clearly had no beneficial microbial colony out of the bag. We mixed it half and half with happy frog and it seems like a decent starting soil now, texture wise. I have some home made seeds (aj's sour diesel x purple unknown male: aka Stella Fuel) that are going to test it out for us:cool:

It all comes back to " if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I guess.

I use the epsoma products in my outdoor garden. I mix it with all kinds of amendments to make a super soil and have had awesome results.
Good advice in the microwave tip, I usually have like 8 baking dishes of soil out trying to cram em all in the oven to destroy eggs/pests. I will try the nuke box next time I'm planting.

Thanks again for stopping in!

Hazed for the day,
Jake

Happy Frog seems pretty consistent for me too, Jake. :) Used to get the yellow soil conditioner bag to build soil with & to re-amend my recycled soil.

You guys really sterilize your soil? Why not just grow in hydro? Sterilization kills all of the life in the soil, including the billions of beneficial microbes. Espoma & happy frog charge you to add beneficial bacteria & fungus & sometimes archaea. If you are getting bug eggs from bagged soil, a little BTi or some imcloprid or some spinosad will take care of the nasties, while not wiping out the benny's.

I tried to sterilize my soil ONCE, lol. When I realized how much dirt I would get in my oven and kitchen and everywhere else JUST for an 800w run, I stopped haha.

Fungus gnats (most common & least damaging pest from storebought soil) = Bti (gnatrol, microbe lift, mosquito dunks)
Root aphids = Imcloprid (tree & shrub, I think the one I like is ~1.47% active imcloprid)
Thrips/leaf miners = Spinosad (monterey garden spray, etc...)

I have had bugs from store bought & hydro store soils. A few times it was overwhelming the number of bugs that came out of a $.99 bag of compost or composted manure. They never killed plants that I know of, but root aphids will slow them down & suck out the vigor. Buggy soil needs to be dried out & treated appropriately, but it's not like a mite infestation. Soil bugs are easy to deal with, IMO.

Happy Frog seems pretty consistent for me too, Jake. :) Used to get the yellow soil conditioner bag to build soil with & to re-amend my recycled soil.

You guys really sterilize your soil? Why not just grow in hydro? Sterilization kills all of the life in the soil, including the billions of beneficial microbes. Espoma & happy frog charge you to add beneficial bacteria & fungus & sometimes archaea. If you are getting bug eggs from bagged soil, a little BTi or some imcloprid or some spinosad will take care of the nasties, while not wiping out the benny's.

I tried to sterilize my soil ONCE, lol. When I realized how much dirt I would get in my oven and kitchen and everywhere else JUST for an 800w run, I stopped haha.

What's up, Pat!

You are correct about killing off the bennies as well as the baddies with sterilization, but it's not a bad thing.
I will clarify a bit: I only steralize soil that seeds will be started in, and that is more to remove moisture so that I can pH the soil to my liking. It also kills the bug eggs/larva. I then water with a few "Microbe life hydroponics" products to add a new colony of life to the soil. Not only does the stuff that I "killed" with heat only take 24 hours to come back to life in good soil conditions, the stuff I poured in is already at work getting the soil ready and figuring out what they have to work with.

I used to worry a lot about keeping my microbe army alive in the dirt. A LOT. Like buying all the crap at the hydro store and following the Internet's advice. You know, typical new organic grower stuff.

I then purchased a book called "Teaming with Microbes" ' the organic gardeners guide to the soil food web'

I now know how resilliant life within the soil is.

Here's a quote:

"When any member of a soil food web dies, it becomes fodder for other members of the community. The nutrients in these bodies are passed on to other members of the community. ....... Nutrients are preserved and eventually retained in the bodies of even the smallest fungi and bacteria. When these are in the rhizosphere, they release nutrients in plant- availble form when they, in turn, are consumed or die." (Lowenfels, Lewis.)

The life cycle within the soil is incredibly short. If you are providing water and above 0 degree temperature there is no way to kill the army. Well, except for synthetic chemical ferts. Who the hell uses those!?

What I'm getting at is that they have been around longer, and can survive despite our efforts to 'imorove' things. Lol.

I highly recommend every orgnic gardener pick up a copy of the book I referenced earlier. We over complicate things a lot.

Okay, that rant is over.
Solid advice on pest control, there Pat. How long have you been growing?

Jake

8+ years feeding me & the doggies & not much longer than that dabbling in my closet, Jake :)

Haha, I still worry about my microherd! I use salt based ferts, but in low doses, with plenty of salt free wet/dry cycles & plenty of organic chelates & amino acids. I also never spike my phosphates. I inoculate Glomus (intradeces, mossea, whatever, lol) on transplant & after 3-4 weeks, start to feed great white or other soluble bacteria product for trichoderma mostly. Kelp & crab :D

For the last few years, growing has been about simplification & cutting costs without losing quality. I like a well draining, ph stable soil with calcium (and not too much mag or potassium) buried in. I like a complete base nute fed when needed. I like epsom salts & full humix on almost every water. I like fish hydrolysate &/or earth juice catalyst for Ph down & potassium silicate for Ph up. I miss my worm bins & 4-5 year old rock dust heavy recycled soil lol. I'll be breaking up some smarties that have had plants in them for 4+ months later on tonight. The ones I did earlier in the week smelled amazing, like an enchanted forest floor, hahaha :)

Yeah, Jake that book gave me a better understanding and consequently changed the way I grow for the better. Patrick sez the same thing through his school of hard knocks. Frog cut with compost rich coco, a dab of azomite and mycos does the trick. Simplicity is what I am shooting for and through better understanding, economy has resulted. I use a third of the nutes I used to use knowing my little friends will take care of the rest. My grows are definitely responding to the new found love and the light hand.

Cool runnin, M

Well, the Nordle have had a bit of a bumpy start. They had the crap soil to start, then got burned by overspray of neem oil when they were pretty young which caused some burns and leaf deformities.

They keep trucking though! I plan to veg these for a while. They will get a transplant in a couple weeks now that they are under the metal halide full time, hoping they will show sex while still in the 4" square pots.

I may flower them in the little tent under a 600w hps. I have been toying with the idea of a small indica tent and huge sativa room (600w and 2000w respectively) and just veging under T5s.

Pic of the little scamp's:

Hang with me folks!
Jake

Back